Ben Shapiro at www.dailywire.com writes a very compelling argument about why the Republican Obamacare repeal and replace plan that was released this week is the wrong solution.
Their new Obamacare plan isn’t an attempt to shift America away from government-run healthcare. It’s an attempt to re-enshrine government as the center of the health care system, with a slightly rejiggered vision of its role. The plan isn’t likely to lower costs, promote competition, or curb moral hazard.
Read the whole article here.
Shapiro goes on to list 5 serious problems with the proposal and I highly encourage you to read his article in full.
Another article by the Heritage Foundation states this:
Those 25 million are the ones who most need relief from Obamacare, and have the strongest motivation to politically support repeal and replace. Their lived experience of Obamacare has basically been “all pain, no gain,” as they have been subjected to significant premium increases and coverage dislocations with no offsetting subsidies.
Unfortunately, the draft House bill provides no meaningful relief for that group that is most adversely affected by Obamacare and most supportive of repeal.
Instead, the draft bill leaves Obamacare’s costly insurance regulations in place, and attempts to offset those costs with even more subsidies—a variant of the same basic approach in Obamacare.
Read the whole article here.
This Republican proposal is just Obamacare with a few tweaks, or, as some are calling it, Obamacare Light. We the People demanded that the federal government get out of health care. Period. I'm not sure how anyone could interpret the results of November's election any differently. If Republicans cannot keep this promise then they will lose the power that we gave to them in the last election because voters will feel betrayed.
Now that Republicans are backed by the vast majority of the nation (as seen in November's election) it is time to finally GO BOLD: get health care out of the federal government and let the free market do what it does best.
I understand that the president and the congress will take a lot of heat from the Democrats and their allies in the liberal media. But that will happen no matter what they do so why not do the RIGHT thing and completely divest the federal government of health care?
If Republicans go bold and restore this kind of Liberty back to the people then several positive things will happen:
- Vigorous Competition: Insurance companies will be able to compete vigorously around the nation. This will spark a new era of innovation in health insurance as company after company starts offering the kinds of services that their customers are demanding and at costs that are reasonable.
- Innovative Solutions: New startups will crop up here and there to fill the gaps in health care insurance markets that the big companies refuse to address. For example, pre-existing conditions. I envision that a smart entrepreneur might come up with a business model that will take care of people with pre-existing conditions at a reasonable expense without going bankrupt. It is only a matter of time.
- Empowering Charities and Churches: Churches and charities will become a popular way to meet the needs of the destitute who fall through all the other gaps. There was a time in this nation when churches were an important part of every community for this very reason. With the federal government playing Santa Claus and offering everything to everyone there was no longer a market for the churches to help in this regard. With the federal government out of health care, the churches can restore their community service mission and help those who need it most. This will restore the traditional values of our nation: people helping people instead of casting our friends and neighbors off to a cold-hearted bureaucracy.
- Republican Political Dominance: Republicans will earn the respect of the American voters and ensure that Democrats remain in the minority for many years to come. This is the primary reason why Democrats fear a bold Republican plan. The Democrat Party has been neutered by the American people in election after election. If Republicans continue to offer bold solutions then the people will continue to respect them and reward them with continued political power.
- Free Market Renaissance: A new renaissance of thinking will begin and more people will realize the extraordinary power of a free-market driven economy instead of a command and control federal government. This will lead to demands for even more reforms to get the federal government out of other aspects of our lives where they do not belong. Let Freedom Ring!
The above list of positive outcomes will only happen if Republicans go bold. Now is the time to act like the winners that the American people chose in the last election. Republicans need to stop wringing their hands and worrying about what the anti-American Democrats and their allies in the media will say. I urge all of you to contact your members of congress and make it clear to them that the American people want the federal government out of the health care business. Period.